BUMPER OPEN DAY – SUNDAY DECEMBER 4 2016
Frome Museum will be putting on her festive finery on Sunday for our last opening day of the year (co-inciding with Frome’s magical Christmas market). There’ll be history aplenty, served up with mince pies and coffee!
So what is going on?
- We pay our homage to one of our earliest volunteers, Eunice Overend (October 1919 to September 1916), with a special exhibition in her honour.
- At 12 noon Simon Carpenter (volunteer curator for Geology, Archaeology and Natural History) will be giving a gallery talk about his exhibition “A Spotted Hyaena Den”. Come along to this family friendly event and hear more about a prehistoric cave found near Frome and the animals which then roamed the area.
- Dr David Robinson, our volunteer curator of Money and Medals, has mounted a small taster exhibition anticipating our exhibition late summer / early autumn 2017 on “Money Matters”. He will be at hand if you have any objects you would like to consult him about. Family treasures are particularly welcome.
- Simon will also be at hand to assist with identification of any geological finds. Indeed if there are any items you would like help with identifying do bring them along. Our team will do our best to assist!
- Vallis First School will be unveiling a taste of their forthcoming Victorian themed exhibition
- A sale of books and other items suitable for as Christmas gifts.
We’ll be closed after this event for the winter season, but welcome visits by appointment, especially from school groups. For contact details see below.
Frome Heritage Museum welcomes school and other group visits, throughout the year. However, to avoid disappointment and make the most of your visit we must ask you to contact us in advance by phone (+44 (0)1373 454611) or e-mail email@example.com.
- Frome Heritage Museum is located in the centre of the town in our historic listed
building built for the Frome Literary and Scientific Institution.
- We have fascinating collections of local, regional or even national importance. The two galleries (entered off North Parade) have regularly changing exhibition and displays of a wide range of local history.
- There is a shop
The Library/Archive is open to researchers during the winter strictly by appointment. Researchers are asked to email, telephone or write to arrange an appointment and also give brief details of their research. This will allow our volunteers to locate relevant documents and photographs in advance of your visit. In line with policy at most archives today charges are levied for photocopies and other services. Details are available on request.
The Museum and Library is run entirely by volunteers and we receive no support from the local authorities. Please help to keep admission free by making a donation – £2 is suggested – which can be enhanced if you sign a Gift Aid Declaration.
We are very grateful for donations of material which relate to the history of Frome and the surrounding parishes but please contact us in advance so appropriate arrangements can be made for your visit.